Saturday, May 30, 2009

Heroes Part 3 - Unsung Heroes

This will be my final post on "Heroes" for a while. It seems some of my best thoughts come from my Wednesday night dinners. I usually go to track on Wednesday nights then head to Goose's Acre. This past Wednesday, I had the privilege of attending a party with my oncologist and friend Rick Hagemeister. Rick and I shared the stage in January 2008 at an inspirational dinner for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. We both spoke on the topic of "Heroes". As I said in a previous post, it was totally unplanned. Rick brought up my speech at the party Wednesday. He was talking to a Fellow at M.D. Anderson about our speeches. What is funny to me is he brought up a part of my speech that I had forgotten. It got me to thinking about "Heroes" once again. I used "The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King" as the backdrop. Here is a conversation that was held between Sam and Frodo near the end of the movie:

"Sam: [Both are overcome by exhaustion] Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?
Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass. I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing, no veil... between me... and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!
Sam: Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you! "

The point was everyone looks at Frodo as the hero in the movie. Sam was a hero in that he knew he could not carry the ring and fulfill the destiny, but he could help and make sure the destiny is fulfilled. He was there as support that was desperately needed.

Such are many of the "Heroes" in our lives. There are coaches, spouses, friends, and family that help us to carry the "ring" and fulfill our destiny. They are not looking for the spotlight and are rarely seen, but without them, we would not succeed. They are the true "Heroes" in our stories. Without these "Heroes", we the survivors/athletes would not be where we are today.

This post really is just to say thanks to all of the Samwise Ganges in our lives who carry us to the finish line. In my life that would be my wife and kids, my coach, and my many friends around the country. A huge thank you to all of you. May God bless each of you greatly.

1 comment:

  1. Regarding your schedule to the right Sir, aren't you running the 2nd annual Bill Crews Remission Run 5K on Saturday, January 30, 2010?

    ReplyDelete