Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wednesday night at Knox

It has been over a month since I have run at Knox on a Wednesday night. It was good to be back. I really enjoy running with Melissa and everyone else that shows up. It is a nice laid back atmosphere that allows each of us to perform to our best. There is no showboating that goes on. It is just fun and supportive. It was also great to meet Micah, a fellow lymphoma survivor who is training for the Dublin Marathon in October.

So here was the prescribed workout:

Track - W/U 15 minutes, stretch, strides, 4 x 400 in 1:30, 200 Rec, 2 x 200 in 40 sec, 200 recovery, 1 x 800 best effort, cool down 10 minutes

Here is how I did:

1st 400 1:24
2nd 400 1:28
3rd 400 1:28
4th 400 1:28

1st 200 0:37
2nd 200 0:38

800 2:39

Great workout. I appreciate the challenges presented. The goal times always stretch me just a little beyond what I think I can do. It was interesting as to how I had just read a chapter on setting your targets by Bobby McGee. Bobby discusses setting your targets above what you realistically think you can accomplish. This is so you stretch yourself and end up much better than when you started. The last 800 did not have a goal time. I asked coach what he wanted me to run it in. I needed a target. He told me no one who had done the workout had broke 2:40. Thus, my target was set.

The same is true in life. We too often set our goals to what we realistically think we can accomplish. By doing this we aim too low and do not end up enjoying the fullness of life that we could have. My challenge to myself this week is to aim unrealistically high and then go for the target.

1 comment:

  1. You have the best coach in the world - and an even better friend!

    ReplyDelete